If there’s one advantage the internet has given us, it’s the ability to connect to people. The web allows us to easily reach people across the globe by the stroke of a few keys. You have access to multitudes of people with similar (and some not so similar) interests. Whatever piques your interest, the internet will provide something for you. Social media, and other sites, allow us to connect to people who share our interests. You can start a group for your sister’s bridal shower, or find people to discuss the 1940’s NY Yankees. Learn how to create a social group online below.
Start A Google Group
- Sign in to Google Groups.
- Near the top left, click Create Group.
- Choose a Group Name.
- Select a group type by clicking the down arrow and choosing:
- Email list: Members communicate with each other using a single email address.
- Web forum: Members use the Google Groups web forum to communicate with each other.
- Q&A forum: This is a type of web forum that allows members to ask and answer each other’s questions.
- Collaborative inbox: Members can assign topics to other members as tasks.
- Click Create.
Start A Facebook Group
- Click the down arrow in the top right of Facebook.
- Select Create Group.
- Enter your group name.
- Add group members.
- Choose the privacy setting.
- Click Create.
Once you create your group, you can upload a photo and write a description. From there, you can post announcements to other members.
Create A Subreddit
To create a subreddit, your account must:
- Have a minimum amount of positive karma. Reddit claims the amount is not high but does not disclose the exact amount needed to prevent spam.
- Your account must be at least 30 days old.
Getting karma isn’t always easy to do. If you’re serious about starting a subreddit, it’s best to avoid any activity that will get you reported. Once you have enough karma, you can easily click the “Create Subreddit” tab and create your own forum. From there, others will post and possibly join your online community. There are some important factors to making a subreddit. Once it’s created:
- You can not change the name of your subreddit.
- You can not delete your subreddit.
Create A Twitter List
Twitter has recently provided a way to DM multiple people at once without an outside program. Here are the steps to take once you’ve logged into Twitter.
- Click the Profile and Settings in the top menu bar.
- Select Lists from the menu and click “Create a new list.”
- Type the name and description of the list.
- Select privacy setting.
- Click Save List.
- Select the Home button and then Followers and Following.
- Click the gear icon in the profile pane for a user you would like to add to a saved list, then select Add or remove from lists and click the list to add that user to the list.
- You can add Twitter users you do not follow by clicking the list icon on their profile.
The internet has numerous resources for creating social groups. Social media does the job of connecting people. Creating your own group allows you to funnel exactly the content you’re looking to find, and interactions you’re looking to have. Whatever your interest is, creating an online social group will allow you to share ideas and connect with other like minded individuals.
You May Also Like: Is Nextdoor Safe To Use?