Are you considering getting serious with someone but you don’t really know all that much about their past? Or have you been misled by a married person before and do not want to go through the same situation again?
In entering a romantic relationship, especially a rather serious one, a person’s marital status is of utmost importance. This does not only pertain to current marriages but also past ones that may have an impact on your future as a couple.
Why Find Out If Someone is Married?
As mentioned, marital status is important as it carries a great impact on two people’s future as a couple. This covers the emotional impact of suddenly finding out that the person you’re thinking of marrying is actually also married, financial implications to the life you’re going to build together, as well as legal implications.
Of course, it will be the direct parties involved that would want to clear any issues on marital status. However, it could also be possible that concerned family members and friends might want to check out the possible lifetime partner of their loved ones. This is especially the case if there are already doubts in the first place.
Although the legality may be quite questionable in some circumstances, we can’t ignore the fact that some people might also want to check someone’s marital status for personal or even business reasons. For instance, some job offers might specifically require applicants to be single due to the nature of the job. To ensure this, an employer might conduct a background check which of course must be agreed to by the prospective employee.
Why Would Someone Keep Marriage A secret?
A hidden marriage, whether former or current, is understandably a big issue in romantic relationships. What most people don’t take into account is that it may also affect business partnerships and social relationships.
The reason of an individual for not divulging their marital status will of course be unique to their circumstances. Reasons could range from deeply personal, complicated, to something as straightforward as believing that it’s not anyone else’s business.
Here are some of the reasons why someone might want to keep their marriage, or previous marriages, a secret.
- Inability to come to terms with the failed marriage
- Coping mechanism for severe emotional pain
- Social stigma against divorcees
- Financial issues
- Take advantage of someone (this has to be included here since it’s an unfortunate truth)
Will Background Checks Help Uncover a Hidden Marriage?
Asking upfront is the simplest way to uncover a hidden marriage. More often than not, however, circumstances are far too complicated for this option to be even considered. There are, of course, other means to find out about someone’s real marital status. One of the guaranteed ways to get results is by doing a background check. While some may consider background checks as more of a last resort, they can also be viewed as the quickest way to uncover the truth.
Aside from actually hiring an investigator to find out things for you (such as the dates of marriage, the type of marriage, and other details), there are actually several ways to perform a background check in relation to someone’s marital status.
- Check Public Records
Marriage records, along with birth, death, and divorce records are collectively known as vital records. In the United States, these records are deemed public records which means they can be accessed by the public. Take note, however, that not all public records are accessible to just anyone. There are instances that only the direct parties involved or their authorized representatives can procure copies. There are also instances that a court order might be required.
You can check court records in the courthouse where the marriage was likely to have occurred, or you can also check with the county clerk records office. Depending on the state and county, you might be able to obtain public records in person, in writing, via email, and/or phone call to the concerned county or state office.
- Use a People Search Engine
Another effective and convenient way to perform a background check is by using a reliable people search engine like Kiwi Searches. Such services are fairly easy to use.
In the case of Kiwi Searches, for example, you simply need to go to their people search webpage and enter the name of the person you wish to perform a search on. You can also select the state; it’s also wise to prepare all other information that might help such as middle name, contact details, addresses, and the like.
The information generated from these kinds of searches includes the person’s full name and known aliases, address (past and present), contact details, education and work history, criminal records, and list of family members, which would include their spouse if they are indeed married.
- Do a Reverse Phone Lookup
This method works on the same premise as people search, the only difference is that you’ll be entering their phone number instead of their name. This is a perfect way to find out if someone you just met and thinking of going on a date with is actually single and available.
For this purpose, you can also use Kiwi Searches or other similar web services. Be wary, however, of websites that claim to provide free public record access especially if they ask for personal and/or sensitive details.
Other Ways to Find Out if Someone is Married
If you don’t want to resort to investigating or performing a background check just yet, you might want to start looking at red flags that may point to a person’s marital status. Here are some things you might want to do or pay close attention to.
- Check out for a wedding ring tan line. Some married people remove their wedding rings to trick others. (Although this could also mean that they are recently separated or divorced).
- Pay attention to their socializing habits. Take note that married people or those in committed relationships do not have as much independence or freedom when it comes to hanging out with friends.
- Check out their social media accounts. If it’s too bare or there’s not much activity, this could mean that it’s a dummy account. If it’s their actual account, you might see clues that can point to their marital status.
- Pay attention to their phone habits. If they constantly check their phones or take measures to keep you from seeing their phone activities, this could be a red flag.
- Assess what you know about their personal life. Have you actually met anyone important in their life? Have you been to their home? If your answer to both is no and you’ve been dating for months, you might want to reconsider your relationship.
- Constantly making excuses when talking about spontaneous date plans. Pay attention to their availability too. Are they always unavailable during weekends or have to be home by ten and would give you unbelievable reasons?