What Is A Dating App?
A dating app is a device application that can be used by people to find potential matches, partners, and long term relationships. Users create their own profile with photos and other information about themselves. Then, the app provides them with matches based on the app’s algorithm. Users can view other profiles as well, along with the ability to private message them.
Online dating came about back in 1995 when Match became the first online dating site. Since then, many apps have come about each bringing their own unique features and targeting specific niche daters. Tinder revolutionized the dating game by providing the “Swipe Left, Swipe Right” feature.
What Are The Best Dating Apps?
- Match: Android & iOS
- eHarmony: Android & iOS
- Tinder: Android & iOS
- Bumble: Android & iOS
- Grindr (For GBTQ Community): Android & iOS
- Coffee Meets Bagel: Android & iOS
- The League: Android & iOS
- Facebook Dating: Via the Facebook App
- OkCupid: Android & iOS
- Plenty of Fish: Android & iOS
- Happn: Android & iOS
- HER (For LGBTQ+ Community): Android & iOS
How Many People Use Dating Apps?
Dating apps have millions of users worldwide and in the United States. According to Pew Research, about 3 in 10 adults in the U.S. said they have used a dating app or site. Of those adults, 57% have a positive experience with online dating.
So, what apps are adults in the United States most commonly using? According to Statistica, the most popular dating apps are (from High to Low Audience Size):
- Plenty of Fish
- Ashley Madison
How To Write A Good Dating Profile
- Don’t include your last name in your profile for safety reasons.
- Include both flattering portraits and full-body images of yourself. You may also want to reveal some of your passions like travel or your dog in your photos of you as well.
- Add some pieces of information that can be a topic of conversation. For example, your favorite quote, a question, or something humorous.
- Make sure to describe yourself in short paragraphs and detail your hobbies, likes, passions, and personality traits.
- Don’t be fake in your profile, just be yourself.
Learn more about creating your dating profile.
Dating App Dangers
- Identity Theft
Often, identity thieves will join dating apps to try and steal peoples’ identities and information. For those who are new to the dating app game, they may share too much personal information on their profile. When private messaging a match (aka an identity thief), the criminal will make the target feel comfortable so they can obtain personal information that might not be available elsewhere.
- Sex Offenders
Many dating platforms don’t have a vetting process to block sex offenders from using dating apps. The number one thing many app users are concerned about is dating a criminal of any sort. For right now, it’s up to the user to look into matches they receive.
Just like social media, stalkers exist on dating apps. These stalkers go as far as finding users on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat. And often, users have their dating account connected to their social media account(s). For example, Tindstagramming is when someone who is rejected on Tinder, slides into the person’s Instagram DMs
There are so many fakers on dating apps. Many users use fake photos and details just so they can get more matches. Then, you meet in person or via video call and find out they aren’t who they claim to be. If this happens to you, you’ve been catfished.
Do Dating Apps Actually Work?
It really depends on who you ask. Some will say they met their soulmate through a dating app, and others will say dating apps are a waste of time. Based on Pew Research’s statistics, a conclusion cannot be determined.
Only 12% of U.S. adults have ever been in a committed relationship or marriage as a result of dating apps. On the other hand, 54% of Americans believe relationships that start on dating apps are just as likely to succeed than those who meet in-person.
- Online Dating Red Flags: What To Notice Before You Meet
- How To Search For People On Tinder
- Don’t Fall For These Tinder Scams!
- Dating App Horror Stories That Will Shock You!
- Get More Right Swipes With These Tinder Hacks
- Meeting Mr. Wrong: Tips For Protecting Yourself On Dating Apps
- What People Really Think About Facebook Dating
- Facebook Dating: Don’t Be Surprised If You Encounter Cheaters
- Dating App Tips Everyone Should Follow
- Modern Dating Terms You Have To Know
View our other Glossary Terms here.
*This article is for informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice.